Playwriting Opps in Boston and New England
The Boston area playwright has access to surprisingly few local playwriting opportunities. As a public service, we've compiled this list of ongoing, regularly occurring local opps. If you know of any others that should be added to this list, please contact us. Thank you!
- Fresh Ink Theatre - Every January they will issue a call for submissions. ONLY THE FIRST 75 SUBMISSIONS ARE CONSIDERED.
- Boston Theatre Marathon - Calls for submission in the fall with a November 15 deadline. Mounts a one day 50 play festival every spring.
- Company One PlayLab - A yearly development program with paths to readings and possible production. Calls for submission in November/December
- SpeakEasy Stage Boston Project - Commissions two or three playwrights a year to write plays specifically set in Boston. Also accepts unsolicited plays.
- New Repertory Theatre Next Voices - Takes four playwrights a year and works with them to develop new work
- Huntington Theatre Playwriting Fellows - Two year residencies to develop new plays.
- Theatre@First - Somerville theatre has various calls for plays.
- Boston Children's Theatre - Deadline seems to be in January.
- Slam! Boston - Short play night by Open Theatre Project
- Playwright's Platform - An ongoing playwright group that discusses work and mounts shows annually.
- Write On - An ongoing playwright group that is affiliated with CentaStage
- TCSquared - An ongoing playwright group based in Somerville
- Boston Podcast Players - A podcast which features local Boston playwrights through interviews and readings of play excerpts.
- Greater Boston Stage Co. - Rolling call for queries.
- Bob Jolly Charitable Trust - Microgrants for local theatre enterprises
- Barrington Stage Company (Pittsfield, MA) - Annual 10x10 short play festival and just started an annual New Play prize
- Cape Cod Theatre Project (Falmouth, MA) - Submission window from September 1 - October 15.
- O'Neill National Playwriting Conference - Deadline in the fall. I list it as it's technically in New England, but The O'Neill is a national playwriting event.
- NETC Gassner Award - Deadline April 15
- Yale Drama Series - Like the O'Neill, a national event in scope, but in New England.
- Portland Stage Co. - Short play and full length play contests.
- Actor's Theatre of Newburyport - Short play festival and play reading series.
- Acme Theatre (Maynard, MA) - Annual New Works Winter Festival of 10 minute plays
- New World Theatre (NH) - A playwrights' collective that is trying different ways to produce new work.
- The Wilbury Theatre Group (Providence, RI) - You can query this theatre about new work
- The Depot (Hampton, CT) - A new play reading and discussion group that invites local playwrights.
- The New Opera and Musical Theater Initiative (NOMTI) (Danvers, MA) - Writer's Lab for writers looking to develop musical stage works.